Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Lead to Ash (Warm Ups Vol. 1.5)

Recently Mark Luetke posted an article on makingcomics.com titled Get Started Already. It's a sweet (and super fast) read. In it he describes a phenomenon where your art turns from gold to ash (paraphrased). Essentially he's saying you might produce art that makes you proud at first, but as you continue to gain skill, you'll recognize ways the old art could have been better that you hadn't seen before. Well, I'm experiencing my art transforming from lead (I don't consider it gold yet) to ash, literally overnight. I'll draw my daily warm-up and sketch, and usually I'm fairly satisfied at what I've produced - until the next day. Typically I pull open my sketch pad and look at the previous day's work and say, "Wow... that's really bad." I don't think this is quite the same thing that Mark is referring to, but I'm just going to keep at it and trust that eventually it'll be like he says.

01.18 Day 13 
01.19 Day 14 - Anatomy study from Drawing Dynamic Hands

01.20 Day 15 - Clothing study from Dynamic Wrinkles and Drapery

No comments:

Post a Comment