Friday, January 24, 2014

Chronic Copy Cat-itus (Warm Ups Vol. 1.6)

I think there is a substantial quality difference between my drawings when I use a reference image and when I draw completely from imagination. This is not shocking to me. Veteran artists often advise beginning artists to use reference images. In fact (I believe) even established artists often refer to reference material to pump up the realism in their work. As I move through my daily exercises, I plan to try and use references (mostly from my collection of books on drawing) for every study, except on Fridays. Friday drawings will be completely from imagination and memory. Hopefully over time there will be some notable improvement when I pull things straight out of the lump of gray matter.

Draw like you mean it!

01.21 Day 16

01.22 Day 17 - Anatomy study from Drawing Dynamic Hands

01.23 Day 18 - Anatomy study from Complete Guide to Drawing


No comments:

Post a Comment