Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Dynamo

Ian Hubert has done it again. This kid is pretty amazing. He pumps out films like nobody's business.

His stories tend to have a quirky element to them, and "Dynamo" is no exception. Ian's character ('Gage') is the quintessential quagmire of quirk (again no surprise) but all that aside, Ian and his crew (karmapirates) manage to keep you curious enough to keep watching.

The production quality is extremely high and I found the sound track to be compelling (although I could have done without the old 20's ragtime or whatever it is in the opening scene - I personally would have preferred a high intensity track to really amp the tension). In fact, I believe there are mp3's from the shorts available for download on the karmapirates website which I'll be perusing shortly.

The acting from most the characters is a bit campy. After you adjust to it, I find it doesn't detract too badly from the story. For an unpaid outfit, there's really only so much you can do (and these guys do it all!!).

The effects are pretty fantastic when you consider how small this production team really is.  And of course, they use blender for most (if not all) of it! So bonus points right there. The closing scene in episode four when one of the characters leaves the apartment just blows me away. Soooo epic!

The trailer to episode five was recently released. I'm looking forward to the next chapter. Especially if it features more of Kavonaghan (Episode 2, my personal favorite).

The only thing that bothered me was even at the 1080p setting on youtube.com, the video seemed to suffer from a fair amount of compression noise (or whatever the technical term for that is).  I'm not entire sure it's not only on my end (watching via firefox on Ubunutu 12.04 - I'll have to do a little more testing)

Edit: It's my system. I tried watching the episodes on my nexus 7 and the video quality is beautiful. Now I get to troubleshoot why my desktop youtube experience is so lacklustre. Joy!

Anyway.. go. Partake!

No comments:

Post a Comment